utopia 365 - some of our clients
utopia 365 iPhone Development Services

Saturday 20 June 2009

'The internet in your pocket'?

Taking the web by storm


There is no doubt that the iPhone has decimated the mobile internet utopia.jpgwith around 80% of web traffic on mobile devices coming from the iPhone. That is an impressive feat to achieve in such short time.

How did this happen? Well, the iphone has an amazing interface which when added to their wonderful safari browser finally made browsing websites on an phone a joy rather than a headache. Being able to render a page quickly, pan around, zoom in etc. on a normal page "just worked".

When you read Apples own website we see that they state:

"And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one — a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do — again."

That is some statement to make for a mobile, but mostly I agree with it - having been a user of nokia, samsung and sony smart-phones I can safely say the iPhone finally made browsing the internet easy, and more to the point I could see what I would see on my desktop or laptop. The internet was in my pocket.

Telling us how to browse (we're trying to be helpful)



When the stats started rolling in on the iPhone web usage people suddenly took it seriously. Wow they said "we're getting loads of traffic from a new device"! It was then that they (the people who know best) decided to 'help' our browsing by the introduction of 'iphone mobile optimized web-pages'.

Surely this is a good move though? We get the content all formatted in a nice way that suits our device. Mostly I will agree, but I have some issues with it.

Lets look at the BBC website on my mobile:

bbc1.jpg


That looks ok, I don't mind it and I get access to the information I want. However, there might be times that I want the 'proper' website, after all I am using a mobile browser with a desktop-class web browser. When I visit the bbc on my phone they automatically take me to the mobile-optimized site. Thankfully if I scroll to the bottom of the mobile site I see I can have a choice by clicking on the desktop site.

bbc2.jpg


There is still a slight issue; with the ease of implementation surely would it not be wise for the site to store which version I want as my default instead of forcing me to the mobile version? I know they are trying to help, but give me the choice.

So what do CNN do?

Well we get the same auto-detect telling me that I want to see their content in an optimized fashion, but from what I can see they do not give me the choice to access their content other than the 'mobile optimized' version.

cnn.jpg      cnn2.jpg


To me, this is poor design - here I am on my desktop-class web browser and they are forcing me to view their site in what I consider a poorly designed layout. At-least the BBC gave me the option.

What are we asking for? Choice, simply the choice. It's sometimes very appropriate, and very nice to 'auto-detect' the browser being used and set the content appropriately, but please let there be a way to get to the standard desktop content (and ideally let me store my choice with a cookie).

On my experimenting I came across a site that I really did not think would block me on my iPhone....MobileMe.

me.jpg


Right, so I am on Apples iPhone which they claim is a 'desktop-class web browser', using a service that is aimed at mobility and they auto-detect and block access to me! Surely this cannot be right? According to the web-page I can access all of the features on my iPhone or iPod Touch? Firstly that's incorrect and secondly so what? Let me access the content from my web-browser! I cannot access 'my account' on the iPhone unless Apple have secretly rolled out a 'my account' iPhone App? Did I miss that? I can't use 'locate my phone'? Ok, so you might say if you are on your phone why would you want to locate it? Well, if you have a couple of phones under the same mobileme account then it shows them all, handy.

Perhaps it's because mobileme is put together in Flash? Nope, it's solidly built web/javascript and CSS wizardry. It should and would work on my iPhone. I am not given the choice though and I for one think that's a poor show Apple.

Views?

No comments:


 
Follow utopia 365 on Twitter
Subscribe to our RSS feed