utopia 365 - some of our clients
utopia 365 iPhone Development Services

Tuesday 3 June 2008

Macs in business

I've been reading an article on CNN entitled "Why Macs aren't still right for business".


Hmm - interesting I thought - but as I read it I realised the article did not have anything except an 'eye-grabbing title'.

When you get on a Mac - you need to understand it works differently, it's not trying to be a PC, it's mannerisms are different. The article takes the standpoint that it should act and behave like a PC. No - I don't want a Mac to compromise the way it works, it's a Mac and the catchphrase "Think Different" is very apt.

The real reason the Mac is not ready for Business yet is that businesses are so entangled with code that will only run on the MS platform that it's simply not viable to run them. However, as more software turns itself to 'web-enabled', i.e. platform independent, then the Mac truly does become a business class machine.....BUT users will have to learn how to use one properly, rather than trying to make it act like a PC (in which case, just get a PC!!). Yes you can run Parallels (I do) or Fusion (I do) but it's not the proper solution,

I grew up using DOS all the way to Windows (Vista - arghhh), but when I switched soon learnt to let the Mac be a Mac and for myself learn how to use it, rather than think "it should act this way". My reward - I was a HECK of a lot more relaxed using a computer at work. No longer getting stressed over rubbish performance, BSOD, Spyware, Adware, Viruses and generally poorly designed software.

My hope, the web will evolve far quicker, which will allow Macs to take their place on the work-desk.....




No comments:


 
Follow utopia 365 on Twitter
Subscribe to our RSS feed